Any user can install Chrome Apps from the Chrome App Store, which is accessed by opening a new tab in Chrome and making sure that "Apps" (not "most visited") is selected at the bottom of the screen. Search for the app you wish to install (or the task you want the app to perform) and click "Add to Chrome." Your app will now appear in the App window when you open a new tab in Chrome. As an added bonus, your apps will transfer to other computers if you sign in to Chrome!
Some of my recent favorite apps:
- Speech Recognition (just like it sounds - free speech to text!)
- Screencast-O-Matic (create quick screencasts)
- Pixlr Express (web-based image editing)
- Read Later Fast (fast, simple bookmarking
- gMail and Google Calendars offline
- WeVideo (video editing for Google Drive)